Ogun State has produced politicians that have held top political positions in the nation.
The great men from the state have been regarded as founding fathers as well as contributing to the growth of Nigeria.
Men and women past and present who hailed from different parts of the ‘Gateway State‘ cannot but be mentioned in the history of Nigeria as a nation.
Here are 10 Nigerian Famous Politicians That Hailed From Ogun State
- Obafemi Awolowo: He was a Nigerian nationalist and statesman who played a key role in Nigeria’s independence movement, the First and Second Republics and the Civil War. He hails from Ikenne, Ogun State.
- Moshood Kashimawo Abiola (MKO): He was a Nigerian businessman, publisher, and politician. He was the undeclared winner of the 1993 Presidential election. MKO Abiola hails from Abeokuta, in the state’s capital city.
- Olusegun Obasanjo: He is a Nigerian political and military leader who served as Nigeria’s head of state from 1976 to 1979 and later as its President from 1999 to 2007. Obasanjo was born to the Owu clan of Ota, Ogun State.
- Abraham Adesanya: He was a Nigerian politician, lawyer, activist, welfarist, and liberal progressive. Late Chief Adesanya hails from Ijebu-Igbo, Ogun State.
- Femi Okurounmu: He was elected Senator for the Ogun Central constituency of Ogun State, Nigeria at the start of the Nigerian Fourth Republic, running on the Alliance for Democracy (AD) platform. He held office from 29 May 1999 to 29 May 2003. He hails from Abeokuta.
- Dimeji Bankole: He is a Nigerian politician who served as the 9th Speaker of the House of Representatives of Nigeria. Elected at the age of 37, Bankole is the youngest Speaker in the history of the House. Bankole belongs to the Egba tribe from Abeokuta, Ogun State.
- Yemi Osinbajo: He is a Nigerian lawyer and politician who is currently serving as the Vice President of Nigeria, since 29 May 2015. Born in Lagos State, Professor Yemi Osinbajo hails from Ogun State, Southwest, Nigeria.
- Olabisi Onabanjo: He was governor of Ogun State from October 1979 – December 1983, during the Nigerian Second Republic. He was of the Ijebu extraction of Ogun State.
- Ibikunle Amosun: He is a Nigerian politician, former governor of the State and two-term senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Amosun hails from Abeokuta.
- Olusegun Osoba: He is a Nigerian journalist and politician. He was elected on two occasions as the governor of Ogun State. Osoba belongs to the Egba clan of Ogun State, although born in Osogbo, Osun State.
Read Also: Top 5 Global Musical Icons From Ogun State