Ipokia is one of the twenty local government areas in Ogun State and has the Benin Republic as a neighbour.
The LGA headquarter is at Ipokia town while there are other popular towns such as Idiroko, Ita Egbe, Ifonyintedo, Ilashe, and so on.
The current traditional Head (King) is Yisa ‘Sola Adeniyi Adelakun Olaniyan(JP), the Onipokia of Ipokia.
Big Brother Naija winner, Olamilekan Agbeleshebioba, better known as Laycon is also a chief ”Akeweje Odo‘ in Ipokia.
Here are 5 Interesting Facts About Ipokia Local Government Area
- Ipokia is blessed with the deposit of mineral resources such as Kaolin and red clay. There is also the large and commercial deposit of crude oil on Tongeji Island (a town under Ipokia).
- One of the notable tourist attraction in the area is the Onigbale forest. It was reported that the 1st Onigbaale of Ipokia precisely disappeared there and has since not been seen.
- The main languages of Ipokia are Yoruba and Ogugbe or ogu (Popularly known as Egun). English language and Anago (indigenous language) is also spoken in the area.
- Ipokia has several delicacies original to the town which include imoyo, gbangba, atutu, tuwo, eko, asepo, and so on.
- People from this area are mostly fishermen (riverine areas) and farmers (vast fertile land is available for Agriculture).
Read Also: Iwopin Boat Regatta Of Ogun Waterways