The Akarigbo of Remo Kingdom is the royal title of the paramount ruler of the thirty-three (33) towns that make up the Remo kingdom in Ogun State.
The Akarigbo is one of the notable traditional rulers in Ogun State along with the Alake of Egbaland and Awujale of Ijebuland.
The present King of Remoland is High Royal Highness, Oba Babatunde Adewale Ajayi, Torungbuwa II, who ascended the throne on 7 December 2017 as the 19th Akarigbo of Remoland.
Here are Things To Know About Akarigbo Of Remo
- The Obas of Remo have been in existence since the founding of the Ijebu Kingdom by a prince of Oyo named Obanta and the arrival of the Prince Akarigbo to the western area of the kingdom roughly around the early 16th century.
- The title given to the Obas of Remoland, Akarigbo, is in honor of this first prince of their line.
- The original seat of the Akarigbos was in the area of Remo near Offin, two towns located further to the west of the present seat of rulership.
- Wars between the King of Dahomey (Benin Republic) and the Chiefs of Abeokuta made many Yorubas in these areas to flee to the area ruled by the Akarigbo, which further strengthened the ruler.
- Members of four ruling families are eligible to ascend the seat of the Akarigbo, these persons descending from four of the sons of the first Akarigbo.
Do share your thought about this post in the comment section.