Ogun State is certainly a place to be for tourists all over the world with its site of attractions.
Locating Ogun State is easy via the road, air, and waterways. The Murtala Mohammed Airport in Lagos State is the nearest airport to the ‘Gateway State‘ which has top places to visit for tourists.
If you’re looking for a place to visit in your next holiday or vacation, then these 5 places in Ogun State will give you a memorable visit.
5 Tourist Attractions In Ogun State
- Olumo Rock: Olumo Rock is the most popular tourist site sitting in the heart of Abeokuta and Ogun state as a whole. It is also one of the most popular tourist destinations in Nigeria and West Africa. Olumo Rock was used as a fortress by the Egba people of Egba land in the time of war, in the late 19th century. Abeokuta, which means ‘Under the rock’ was inhabited by the Egba people, and the mighty Olumo Rock served as a sanctuary and a forte to monitor enemy movement which eventually lead to victory in the war. Olumo Rock which stands 137 meters above sea level is visited by thousands of tourists every day. The site is renovated as time goes by to allow easy exploration. Olumo Rock now has an elevator, water fountain, and restaurant around it. Fascinating enough this mega rock still has its shrines and caves intact. The site is a must-see as it features a full view of Abeokuta, arts and craft, the marketplace, tie and dye, and more. A little climbing here and there and you’ll be on top.
- Centenary Hall:Cenetary Hall is located in Ake, Abeokuta. Sitting opposite the Ake’s Palace, the Centenary Hall was constructed in 1950 to commemorate the one hundred years Abeokuta had been in peace after the last inter-tribal war by his Majesty Oba Ladapo Ademola II, KBE, the then, Alake of Egbaland.
- Hiltop Golf Resort: It is located Abeokuta, Ogun State. It is an enchanting gold result with a relaxing atmosphere. Relaxation at the clubhouse accompanied by fine music and an assortment of drinks. You can obviously play golf at the hilltop and follow it up by relaxing by the lake
- Ogunde Musuem: It is located in Osasa, Ogun State. This museum came to be as a result of the existence of Hubert Adedeji Ogunde, a legend who changed the narrative. The Ogunde museum tells the story of the life of a pioneer, born to be so much more. The museum features the mausoleum and burial site of late Chief Dr. Hubert Ogunde, a minibus and lorry used in travelling around Nigeria, his bedroom where he spent the last 10 years of his life, some of his personal effects including his clothes, shoes and passport, his theatre, music and film memorabilia.These include costumes used in his plays and films, the original vivyl records, CDs, film and stage effects, the complete Ogunde family tree and more.
- Lisabi Sacred Forest: It is located in Oba Village, Obafemi/Owode Local Government, Ogun State, Nigeria. According to the history of Abeokuta, the Lisabi forest houses the remains of the great farmer turned warrior, Lisabi Agbongbo Akala. He fought to free the Egba people from slavery by the Oloyos. Annually, Lisabi day is celebrated with a march through the Lisabi forest. The Lisabi forest in all is regarded as sacred by the people of Ogun state. This is because it is bound on both sides by both Ogun river and Tegbelu Stream. It is said the forest is home to rare bird species and endangered animal species and reptiles.
Also Read: Top Places To Visit In Shimawa Ogun State