One of the historical places in Ogun State is Isara-Remo. It is an ancient town in the present-day Remo North local government area of Ogun State.
Isara-Remo is the headquarters of Remo North local government area. It is the 6th largest town in Ogun state following Abeokuta, Ijebu Ode, Ijebu Igbo, Sagamu and Ago Iwoye.
The town is notable for having influential Nigerians such as Prof Wole Soyinka, Oloye Fatai Sowemimo and so on.
Here are Interesting Facts About Isara-Remo You Need To Know
- The town was founded by an hunter known as Prince Adeyemo who happens to be a prince from the Yoruba ancestral home of Ile-Ife.
- Prince Adeyemo had in his entourage two men of repute; Ise and Ara who were his advisers. The name of the town was later coined by joining the names of the men to have Isara.
- He became the de facto king of the town and took the title Ode-omo. The title has since been contracted into Odemo and remains the official title of the monarch.
- Men of Isara-Remo have not been known to take part in any major wars except as peacemakers. The city has been called “Isara city of joy.
- The present Isara has seven royal households, all direct descendants of Prince Adeyemo of Ife. These are the House of Igan, the House of Rokodo-Erinshiba, the House of Ogunshere-Gbuko, the House of Afonlade, the House of Poke Bi Owu’la, the House of Ayoledoye and the House of Ojo Ko B’oye