Olumo rock is one of the most popular sites of attraction in Nigeria. It is a mountain located in Abeokuta, in Ogun State.
This particular rock located in Ogun state has been a site for tourists all over the country and different parts of the world. This has helped to showcase the rich culture and heritage of the people of the state.
Here are 5 Things You Need To Know About Olumo Rock In Ogun State
- The mountain was used as a natural fortress for the Egba people of Ogun state during inter-tribal warfare in the 19th century. It serves as a vantage position for the inhabiters to monitor its enemies which make them to triumph in war.
- The patron sirit of Olumo rock is venerated in the Yoruba religion as an orisha.
- The early inhabiters of the caves in this site became the eventual settlers of Abeokuta town, Ogun state.
- Olumo rock as a height of 137 meters above sea level.
- As a popular site of attraction in the state, Olumo rock has been upgraded with infrastructure which include a new museum, restaurants, water fountain and a market (Itoku).